Yorkshire Terrier Characteristics
Care of Yorkshire Terrier is laborious but it gives you pleasure from communication with pet. Yorkshire Terrier has long hair without undercoat, which doesn’t moult. Therefore, people who are allergic can keep dogs of this breed. Because, usually dog`s wool contains a large number of dandruff which is allergen. But Yorkshire Terrier hair is soft and silky in structure similar to human hair. Dog`s hair also grows all life without molting and drop out only during combing.
How to Care of Yorkshire Terrier
Care for Coat: it is necessary to comb with a metal crest every day. At the head hair is collected in a ponytail or clipped to the desired length. Coat around the eyes is bristling and gets into eyes. It can be a short cut (although in some time it will grow again), or with a wet finger to smooth every day.
Bath: every 7 - 10 days or depending on pollution with a moisturizing shampoo for Yorkshire terrier with balm and conditioning. This breed has a long, thin hair which needs moisture and recovery. There are shampoos for volume, which mask thin and sparse wool of the dog. They are used in the preparation for the exhibition when its hair is necessary to give the desired shape and volume.
Caring and Bathing Yorkshire Terrier
- Always use a professional shampoos and conditioners.
- Remember, premium class cosmetic is very concentrated. The shampoo must be diluted with a little water and then applied to wet hair.
- Do not keep for the long time the shampoo on the hair. Lather the wool and make foam. Then rinse thoroughly with water, because a detergent has components which strongly irritate the skin.
- Always use conditioner because shampoo washes away protective grease of the hair, it becomes weak and defenseless. Conditioner restores the protective grease of Yorkshire terrier wool.
- After bathing, pet`s wool should be lubricated with special oil. It gives shine and elasticity to hair.
Care for Hair and Hairstyles of Yorkshire Terrier
Haircuts for Yorkshire Terriers are divided into three types:
- Hygienic cut
- Standard cut
- Model cut
Hygienic cut is mandatory for all Yorkshire Terriers. It is performed every 3 - 4 weeks. Shaves the upper third on the ears, cut out wool under the tail, in the armpits, between the toes and is trimmed "skirt".
Standard cut is usually made for the dogs that participate in dog shows. It is necessary to cut wool out in the armpits, the third part on the ears, in the groin, under the tail.
A model cut is suitable for a pet, which does not participate in dog shows. Professional groomer does it. By choosing an interesting hairstyle, you can transform your pet into another breed and give it a mysterious look. There are no restrictions, you can realize any of your fantasy and fulfill all rules of hygiene. A professional can cut out a pattern on wool, decorate with rhinestones, paint coat in a different color or make a stylish tattoo. Consult your groomer when choosing a hairstyle for a pet. An experienced master can recommend the haircut that will suit your dog's coat type.
Standard hair is glossy and smooth like silk. Long or short cut will look beautiful. Hairstyle with long hair looks excellent, long skirt and flared on the legs. You can experiment with the hair and create any look. Standard wool is well colored.
It is recommended:
- Long coat according to the breed standard
- Haircut with any long hair
- A long skirt and flared on the legs
- Colouring hair and creative fashionable haircuts.
- Too short haircuts.
Fluffy hair is electrified, becomes entangled and stands on end. Dogs with fluffy hair look like "plush toy" with frequently care and correct grooming. Their thick coat allows you to create more rounded lines.
It is recommended:
- Short haircuts (no need to comb out every day)
- Shaved body without a skirt, flared at the legs (you need to comb every day, but it looks nice)
- Haircut like "puppy" (hair on the body and legs is sheared at the same length)
- Korean style dog grooming (hair on the body is cut out short; on the legs is long; muzzle is cut short giving as possible the toy appearance; there is on the ears long hair)
- Long hair on the body and a long skirt (you need to comb out every day, because the hair will be entangled)
Hard hair is denser in structure and easier to care. For dogs with stiff wool is suitable medium length hairstyle. You should not choose too short haircuts because the dog will look like bald. You should avoid long wool. Because the stiff coat is split, and the extra length gives a sloppy appearance.
It is recommended:
- Haircuts of medium length.
- Haircuts with long hair on the body.
- Too short haircuts.
It is he or she?
Modern fashion offers haircuts for dogs which easily help to distinguish who is in front of you: male or female.
Female yorkie haircuts:
- Any long hairstyle (with a skirt and panties)
- The red bow on his head (topknot on the crown)
- Wool Coloring
- Drawing with glitter – tattoo
- Korean style with long hair on ears
Male yorkie haircuts:
- Bangs instead topknot
- Bow of blue
- Short sports haircut
- Korean style with short hair on the ears
Care of claws Yorkshire Terrier: It is active breed which loves a lot of walking and running. Claws are cut 1 time per month with nail clipper. Pointed ends of the claws are smoothed with nail file. Look for the fifth finger on the front legs, often the nail on it is twisted and causes discomfort. Too long claws should be cut in several stages.
Use these tools for the care of claws Yorkshire terrier:
- Nail clipper - guillotine
- Nail file
- Children's scissors
Many pets are nervous and do not like this procedure. After the cut claws, always give the dog delicacy. After the walk you need to wash the dog`s paws, muzzle, tail and genitals. Blot with a towel and gently dry with a hairdryer.
Care for Teeth Yorkshire Terrier: Teeth are cleaned 1-2 times a week with toothpaste for dogs with a small toothbrush or a special attachment on the finger. Caring owners show their pet a veterinarian once every six months to check the teeth. To prevent the tartar, give it fresh tomatoes and slices of green apple. The shops sold a lot of chewing sticks with menthol and cords with a special solution for cleaning dog`s teeth.
Care for Eyes: Yorkshire Terrier eyes are checked every day. You can smooth hair around them with wet fingers or cut off with scissors with blunt ends to prevent irritation of the eyes. Eyes of healthy Yorkshire Terrier are shining without secretions and tears. Eyes are washed with a soft cloth dampened chamomile tea once a week. Always contact your veterinarian when noticing red eyes of dog or a copious watering.
Ticks and Fleas Control of Yorkshire Terrier
Regularly treat your Yorkshire Terrier with the remedy against ticks, fleas and other ectoparasites ("Advantix", "Front Line", or any other, which your veterinarian will advise). Before the treatment pet is bathed because the dog does not bathe during 10 days after it.
There are several types of remedies against ticks and fleas for dogs:
- Drops on the withers (it is poured into wool on the withers close to the neck at the place wich the dog cannot reach with the tongue). On the first day do not allow children to stroke the pet. If a child stroked a dog you should wash his hands with soap and water.
- Spray (it is applied before each walk, in case of infection with ectoparasites, you should treat all the things of the pet: clothes, bed).
- Collar (helps if the dog wears it constantly).
- Tablets (you should consult with a veterinarian before giving the pill to the pet).
Never forget to do this procedure because it affects the health and the life of your loved Yorkshire. Always check your pet for parasites after a walk in the forest, park or any area where there are bushes and dry grass. Discovered tick is carefully pulled out with tweezers or a tick twister with a circular motion. The bite treats with antiseptic. The next day keep an eye on dog’s health. The tick is carriers of dangerous diseases - piroplasmosis (babesiosis) and carries a great threat to the life of the dog. In case of infection, piroplasmosis dog has a fever, because it started the destruction of red blood cells (hemolysis) and the allocation of hemoglobin in the urine (hemoglobinuria), its urine becomes reddish - brown.
Symptoms of piroplasmosis (babesiosis) in dogs:
- Pet is sluggish, inactive, refuses food and water.
- The high temperature more than 39 degrees.
- Color of urine is red or brown.
- Later, the color of urine returns to normal, the temperature goes down, but the dog does not recover.
- In this case, may develop anemia, disturbed liver function, occur jaundice and vomiting (the mucous membranes, the skin and whites parts of the eyes become yellow).
Having noticed any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately. Only a specialist can prescribe the right treatment and help save a pet. Unfortunately, many pets lost their lives without the timely assistance.