French Bulldog Characteristics
Feeding of the French Bulldog
Feeding of the French Bulldog is two types:
- Ready-made food
- Home-made food
You have to know a main rule of responsible breeders, never mix these two types of food to prevent gastrointestinal disorders and disease in your dog. Ready-made food includes a balanced complex of vitamins, minerals, proteins and carbohydrates necessary for the canine organism.
Advantages of ready-made food: it is hard that is useful for the dog's teeth, it is convenient for storage and it does not need to be cooked. A dog should drink plenty of water and have constant access to it when he feeds on dry food.
If your dog prefers to eat homemade cooked food, you should remember a number of healthy foods that will be useful for dog`s health.
Healthy and useful foods for French Bulldog:
- Lean meat (veal, beef, turkey, rabbit)
- Seasonal vegetables and fruits (carrots, zucchini, pumpkin, apple)
- Sea fish without boned (preferably boiled)
- Lactic acid products (low-fat cottage cheese, yogurt without additives)
However, there are products that you should not give your French Bulldog.
Poisonous and Dangerous Foods for French Bulldog:
- Fatty meat (pork)
- Tubular bones of birds
- Smoked meat
- Bakery products
- River fish (can cause severe allergies and is often infected with worms)
- Corn, corn meal, corn gluten meal, or other corn by-products
- Grapes and raisins (can cause kidney failure)
- Onions (can cause damage to red blood cells)
- Chocolate (can cause vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, seizures and even death)
- Avocado (leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of Avocado are poisonous and contain a toxin called persin that can cause upset stomach and breathing difficulties)
How many times a day to feed French Bulldog Puppy:
- In 1.5 - 2 months the puppy is fed 6 times a day, at regular intervals.
- In 3 months the puppy is fed 5 times a day, with the same intervals between feedings. By that time, milk is gradually being excluded from the diet.
- In 4 - 7 months the bulldog puppy receives four meals a day.
- In 8 - 10 months, they are fed 3 times a day.
- At 10 months and an adult dog is fed 2 times a day.
If the French Bulldog eats homemade cooked food, it is necessary to include vitamins and minerals in his diet.
Health Problems of French Bulldog
French Bulldog, like all brachycephalic dog breeds, has a tendency to develop genetic health problems. Every breed of dog has physiological and morphological characteristics, so each has its own specific problems related to health. Some diseases of the French Bulldog are more pronounced and in most cases do not prevent the dog from leading an active way of life, but there are some that have an increased risk of developing in the canine organism.
There are some French Bulldog health issues and something interesting you should know about them.
- Heat Stress
- The Respiratory System
- Hip Dysplasia
- Cherry Eye
- Brachycephalic Respiratory Syndrome
- Stenotic Nares
- Tracheal Stenosis
- Elongated Soft Palate
- Laryngeal Collapse
- Intervertebral Disc Disease