Chihuahua dog (Chihuahueño) Characteristics
What do Chihuahuas like to eat? Before talking about healthy and unhealthy (dangerous) food for Chihuahua, it is necessary to mention some rules about feeding Chihuahua with natural products.
- Chihuahua Puppies need to be fed every three hours it is about eight times a day.
- The food should be of room temperature and the portion should be eaten during 20 minutes. If the dog refuses to eat, you have to remove it until the next feeding.
- Clean water should always be in a bowl
- Dry food should only be a premium class
How many times a day to feed Chihuahua:
- puppy from 2 to 3 months is fed 6 - 8 times a day
- 3 to 4 months - 5 times a day
- 4 to 6 months 4 times a day
- from 6 months to a year - 3 times a day,
- puppy of 10 months and adult Chihuahua eats 2 times a day - in the morning and in the evening
Diet of Chihuahua puppy has to include only the right and freshly prepared foods which will contribute to its physiological formation and growth. Foods have to be balanced and contain minerals, vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, fats in their uniform combination, contributing to the growth of puppies.
Healthy foods Chihuahua:
- cereals (rice)
- meat (veal, rabbit, turkey)
- chicken meat (is included in the diet very carefully because of an allergic reaction)
- ocean fish (boneless)
Unhealthy food for Chihuahua:
- fatty meat (pork, lamb)
- garlic, onion
- raisins, grapes
- river fish (often infected with worms)
- macadamia nuts
Chihuahua Health Problems. Common Small Dog Problems
Despite its small size, the Chihuahuas have strong immunity and rarely get sick. Genetic vitality allows this breed to live very long without serious diseases of internal organs and the musculoskeletal system. Chihuahua diseases often come down to dental problems and early tooth loss. This is due to a short jaw and a certain shape of the head.
The Chihuahua is inclined to health problems which are common among small dogs breed, such as:
- Patella Luxation
- Reverse Sneezing
- Teeth problems
- Dry eyes
Also Chihuahua has a small hollow spot on their skulls that is soft, and can cause death if pressure is applied to it. This is called 'molera' and can be quite harmful when a pet injures himself or falls badly.