English Bulldog Characteristics
English Bulldogs need a certain diet and proper diet that will satisfy their needs.
Dry food includes a balanced content of digestible and indigestible fiber, proteins with high digestibility, which helps reduce the odor of feces, prevents bloating and normalizes digestion.
Dry food contains B vitamins and amino acid (histidine). These components in the complex strengthen the protective skin barrier function and gives beauty and luster to the wool. Fish oil enriches the body with essential fatty acids "Omega 3", which soothe irritation on the skin.
It is important not to overfeed English bulldog and always check its weight. Limit the amount of fat in the diet. Because they are give the body calories and carbohydrates more than proteins. It is very important to maintain cartilage health because heavy bulldog`s body gives more stress on the legs and the dog's joints, particularly at overweight.
The diet of English bulldog has to help digestion, limit fermentation which causes rumbling in the stomach and flatulence. It is necessary to maintain the balance of the colon microflora.
Clean water always should be into the dog's bowl.
Natural food is given fresh of room temperature (not hot and not cold, it is bad for the digestive system of dog). Portion should be eaten during 20 minutes then hide the food in the refrigerator until the next feeding.
Healthy products for English Bulldog:
- Lean meat (beef, veal, rabbit, turkey)
- Beef heart
- Sea fish
- Grains (rice, oatmeal, barley) cooking with meat or bone broth
- Cod liver oil (1 teaspoon per day)
- Pumpkin (baked) - a couple of teaspoons a day for puppy and a couple of tablespoons for an adult dog
- Apples (without the seeds)
- Poultry meat (boneless)
- Seasonal vegetables and fruits
- Dairy products (low-fat cottage cheese, fermented baked milk, yogurt) 1 - 2 times a week
- Vegetable oil (sunflower, olive, flaxseed) is added to the ready meals 1 teaspoon
- Meat and offal are scalded and cut into small pieces
- Salty and spicy food
- Smoked food
- Fatty meat (pork)
- Flour products
- River fish
- Chicken bones
- Never give walnuts or macadamia nuts (it is poison for dogs)
English Bulldogs Health Problems
- Cherry Eye
- Heart problems
- Stenotic nares
- Atopic dermatitis
- Flea allergy dermatitis
- Eyelid anomalies (ectropion and entropion)
- Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) or dry eye
- Difficult birth
- Vaginal hyperplasia
- Ventricular septal defect
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Aortic Stenosis
- Skin fold dermatitis
- Heatstroke (Hyperthermia)
- Brachycephalic syndrome
- Interdigital cysts
- Hip dysplasia
- Congenital elbow luxation
- Tracheal hypoplasia
- Demodex mange