German Shepherd Dog Characteristics
Feeding German Shepherd puppies:
- Up to 2 months - 6 times a day;
- 2 to 3 months - 5-6 times a day;
- 3 to 6 months - 3-4 times per day;
- 6 months to 1 year - 2-3 times per day;
- After 1 year and adult German shepherd eats 2 times a day;
It is very important during their first year of the dog to supply with a balanced diet. It needs a sufficient amount of nutrients, vitamins and minerals for correctly formation of the skeleton. You have to feed German shepherd with balanced food to maintain its health and good physical shape.
You have to consult with the breeder who sold the shepherd, what type of feeding, he recommends this breed. He can tell you about advantages and disadvantages of dry forage and natural food.
You must follow simple rules and your pet will be healthy and active.
- Never mix two types of feed.
- A bowl with clean water should be accessible for the dog.
- Portions should be eaten during a few minutes. If the food untouched, after 20 - 25 minutes, remove the bowl in the fridge until the next feeding.
- Food should be fresh, room temperature.
- Lean meat (beef, rabbit, turkey, chicken) scalded with boiling water.
- Cereals (rice oatmeal)
- Vegetables (carrots, zucchini, squash, bell pepper)
- Seasonal fruits (apples, pears)
- Sea fish (without bones)
- Dairy products (yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese)
- 1 tsp. of oil per day
Toxic and Dangerous foods for German Shepherd:
- Fat meat (pork, lamb)
- Smoked products
- Fresh bakery
- Fried food
- Carbonated drinks
- Excess salt
- Tubular bones (from chicken or other poultry)
German Shepherd Health Problems
- Ear infections
- Problems with the intervertebral disks
- Hip dysplasia
- Disease of the intervertebral discs
- Dystrophy cornea
- Dislocation of lens
- The pannus
- Melanoma anterior choroidal
- Pancreatic insufficiency
- Perianal fistula
- Aortic stenosis
- Pericardial effusion
- Testicular tumors
- Growth hormone deficiency
- Protrusion (prolapse of the lacrimal gland of the third century)
- Erythematous pemphigus
- Cardio - vascular diseases (dysplasia of the tricuspid or mitral valve)
- Aortic Stenosis
- Paralysis of the hind limbs (one of the most dangerous diseases of Shepherd after 6 -7 years)