Toxic and Dangerous Household Items for Dogs

Toxic and dangerous household items for dogs

Dangerous household items for dogs

A dog in the house is both a great joy and a huge responsibility but how to choose a puppy that is right for you if you do not know anything about dogs.

Firstly, you have to choose the right breed of dog for your lifestyle and find a responsible and honest breeder who gives you advice how to raise a happy healthy dog.

Secondly, you must prepare your house for the dog because your home for a puppy is a new world full of danger and secrets that he will learn. You must provide the pet with a comfortable and safe environment.

Do you know some things in your house are poisons for dogs so you have to get rid of them or keep them in inaccessible place to prevent pet from danger and death.

There is a list the most dangerous household items for dogs.

Human food

Many products are useful for dogs because they contain proteins, minerals and carbohydrates necessary for the full development of the canine organism. But some of them that particularly attract dogs with their smell or form are toxic to the dog. Therefore, never let your dog chews them to prevent poisoning.

Chocolate contains theobromine which causes dog’s indigestion and cramps, which often lead to death. 30 grams of dark chocolate can poison a dog with weigh 13 kilograms.

Grapes and raisins cause kidney failure.

Xylitol is contained in candy, toothpaste, baked goods and some diet foods. It can cause blood sugar to drop and cause liver problems.

Avocado and all its parts (leaves, seed, bark, fruit) contain persin which is a natural fungicide causing dyspeptic disorders followed by dehydration. Even a small amount of this substance can lead to death.

Raw eggs are the cause of infection with salmonella.

Onions and garlic (raw, boiled or powder) it does not matter. They contain natural disulfides and sulfoxides, which have a destructive effect on red blood cells and can cause hemolysis and anemia of dogs.

Fatty meat (pork, lamb) can cause pancreatitis or obesity, which in turn leads to the development of other diseases.

Alcohol (beer, liquor, wine, or food with alcohol) can cause vomiting, diarrhea, coordination problems, breathing problems, coma and even death.

Coffee, Tea and products with caffeine are dangerous and for dogs.

Macadamia Nuts are so toxic that even six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a dog sick. Symptoms of poisoning are muscle shakes, vomiting, high temperature, and weakness in his back legs. Chocolate with the nuts will make symptoms worse, maybe even leading to death.

Cleaning Products

Furniture polish, toilet cleanser, deodorant, hair spray and other household chemicals often become bait for the dog. He can bite the container with a cleanser or lick the treated surface. Never give your dog even empty chemical bottles, jars or cleaners containers.

All surfaces and wooden furniture are wiped with dry cloth after applying cleaning agents. You should wait until the treated surface dries completely and only then let the dog go in the room. Keep all cleaning agents in a closed cupboard.

You must follow one rule that protect your dog: “If you don’t want your dog to chew things, put them out of reach”.


Some types of indoor plants are very toxic and provoke poisoning if the dog eats them. The most dangerous are dienenbachia, philodendron, aglaonema, syngonium, zamiokulkas, alocasia, epipremnum, zandedesia, anthurium, colocaia, spathiphyllum, monstera, caladium, poinsettia, mistletoe, chrysanthemum and amaryllis. These plants can cause severe poisoning within a few seconds.

They are very beautiful and thus dangerous because their secretory cells and the resin channels emit a poisonous juice that protects the plant from eating in a natural habitat. The juice of plants (poison) causes swelling of the oral mucosa and larynx and leads to conjunctivitis and irreversible changes in the cornea after contact with the eyes. All parts of these plants are dangerous. If the dog chews any of these flowers, immediately contact the veterinarian.

Put all the plants high enough that the dog did not reach them.


Keep medicines in a closed cupboard because any medications in large quantities are dangerous to the dog. Some tablets are covered with a sweet glazed and attract the attention of the pet. Be careful when throwing out spoiled medicines because the dog can pull it out of the trash can.

Coins and small parts from toys

The dog can swallow small items and shiny metal coins. Some coins are made of zinc which is dangerous for blood cells and can cause severe anemia if swallowed.

Small toy parts can injure the larynx and intestines of a dog. In small breeds, this can cause suffocation.

Power Cords

Dogs in particular puppies often gnaw electric cords in the house. This is a very dangerous occupation because the dog can be electrocuted.

Keep the cords out of dog's reach. Put them on a table, computer desk or window sills where they are not easily seen instead of allow them to lie on the floor. You can use special clamps for wires or attach a tube to the wall to protect the dog from chewing.

Treat power cords with a special means unpleasant to taste (bitter, sour, and spicy). Give the pet a toy for chewing that diverts it from the wires.